Cancer is uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells that can spread to any part of the body by blood and lymph systems.
- Up to one-third of cancer-related deaths are due to obesity and a sedentary lifestyle.
- Cancer is responsible for 1 in every 7 deaths worldwide.
- 30% to 40% of all cancers can be prevented by healthy diet and physical activity.
- Cancer accounts for 10% of all deaths in Qatar.
- The incidence (new cases) of cancer in Qatar will more than double by 2030.
Cancer statistics in Qatar:
The most common 5 types of cancer in Qatar: breast, bone marrow, colon, skin, prostate.
Male: bone marrow, colon, skin, prostate, Lung.
Female: breast, bone marrow, colon, skin, Thyroid gland.
The Warning Signs of Cancer
The acronym (C-A-U-T-I-O-N) used to help recognize the seven early signs of cancer:
C- Change in bowel or bladder habits
A- A sore that does not heal
U-Unusual bleeding or discharge
T-Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles, or elsewhere
I-Indigestion or difficulty swallowing
O-Obvious change in the size, color, shape, or thickness of a wart, mole, or mouth sore
N-Nagging cough or hoarseness
- Cigarette Smoking and Tobacco Use and alcohol
- Sun and ultraviolet (UV) Exposure
- Immunosuppressive Medicines
- Unhealthy Diet
- Decrease the physical Activity.
- Genetics and family history.
Prevention and Screening:
- Do the schedule routine examinations and cancer early detection tests regularly
- Quit smoking
- Eat healthy
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid exposure to high levels of ultraviolet radiation
- Take all needed vaccinations